|Founded||1985; 36 years ago|
|Revenue||$640.7 million (2018)|
|US$46.9 million (2018)|
|US$66.3 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Sophos Group plc is a British security software and hardware company. Sophos develops products for communication endpoint, encryption, network security, email security, mobile security and unified threat management. Sophos is primarily focused on providing security software to 100- to 5,000-seat organizations. Mar 23, 2021 Risk-Free for 30 Days – Get Sophos (off)Sophos Security Features. Sophos Home Premium is an effective and easy-to-use antivirus which can protect up to 10 devices. Sophos is relatively minimalistic in terms of both design and features, but this is what makes it a good choice for non-technical users. In Sophos Central the computer/server status will report Isolating. Showing a request being sent to isolate the computer: The computer/server will not be isolated in this situation until real-time scanning is enabled in the Threat Protection policy. Once the policy is applied to the computer. Feb 24, 2020 Applies to the following Sophos products and versions Enterprise Console, Sophos Endpoint Security and Control 10.7.2 Installation of the Sophos Enterprise Console Make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of SEC and you have checked the following: System Requirements for Enterprise Console, Port Requirements and The accounts you need. Sophos has three main facilities in North America. They are located in Boston, Massachusetts; Santa Clara, California; and Vancouver, British Columbia. These offices service North America, Central America, and South America. The Sophos US Training Center is located at our Burlington, MA facility.
Sophos Group plc is a British security software and hardware company. Sophos develops products for communication endpoint, encryption, network security, email security, mobile security and unified threat management. Sophos is primarily focused on providing security software to 100- to 5,000-seat organizations. While not a primary focus, Sophos also protects home users, through free and paid antivirus solutions (Sophos Home/Home Premium) intended to demonstrate product functionality. It was listed on the London Stock Exchange until it was acquired by Thoma Bravo in February 2020.
Sophos was founded by Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer and began producing its first antivirus and encryption products in 1985. During the late 1980s and into the 1990s, Sophos primarily developed and sold a range of security technologies in the UK, including encryption tools available for most users (private or business). In the late 1990s, Sophos concentrated its efforts on the development and sale of antivirus technology, and embarked on a program of international expansion.
How Good Is Sophos Security
In 2003, Sophos acquired ActiveState, a North American software company that developed anti-spam software. At that time viruses were being spread primarily through email spam and this allowed Sophos to produce a combined anti-spam and antivirus solution. In 2006, Peter Gyenes and Steve Munford were named chairman and CEO of Sophos, respectively. Jan Hruska and Peter Lammer remain as members of the board of directors. In 2010, the majority interest of Sophos was sold to Apax. In 2010, Nick Bray, formerly Group CFO at Micro Focus International, was named CFO of Sophos.
In 2011, Utimaco Safeware AG (acquired by Sophos in 2008–9) were accused of supplying data monitoring and tracking software to partners that have sold to governments such as Syria: Sophos issued a statement of apology and confirmed that they had suspended their relationship with the partners in question and launched an investigation. In 2012, Kris Hagerman, formerly CEO at Corel Corporation, was named CEO of Sophos and joined the company's board. Former CEO Steve Munford became non-executive chairman of the board. In February 2014, Sophos announced that it had acquired Cyberoam Technologies, a provider of network security products. In June 2015, Sophos announced plans to raise $US100 million on the London Stock Exchange. Sophos was floated on the FTSE in September 2015.
On 14 October 2019 Sophos announced that Thoma Bravo, a US-based private equity firm, made an offer to acquire Sophos for US$7.40 per share, representing an enterprise value of approximately $3.9 billion. The board of directors of Sophos stated their intention to unanimously recommend the offer to the company's shareholders. On 2 March 2020 Sophos announced the completion of the acquisition.
Acquisitions and partnerships
From September 2003 to February 2006, Sophos served as the parent company of ActiveState, a developer of programming tools for dynamic programming languages: in February 2006, ActiveState became an independent company when it was sold to Vancouver-based venture capitalist firm Pender Financial. In 2007, Sophos acquired ENDFORCE, a company based in Ohio, United States, which developed and sold security policy compliance and Network Access Control (NAC) software. In November 2016, Sophos acquired Barricade, a pioneering start-up with a powerful behavior-based analytics engine built on machine learning techniques, to strengthen synchronized security capabilities and next-generation network and endpoint protection. In February 2017, Sophos acquired Invincea, a software company that provides malware threat detection, prevention, and pre-breach forensic intelligence.
In March 2020, Thoma Bravo acquired Sophos for $3.9 billion.
- ^ abcd'Annual Report 2018'(PDF). Sophos. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- ^'Sophos: the early years'. Naked Security.
- ^'Exterminator Tools'. Windows IT Pro. 15 November 1999. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- ^'Sophos acquires anti-spam specialist ActiveState'. www.sophos.com. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- ^'Sophos Management Team Global Leaders in IT Security'. sophos.com.
- ^'Apax Partners to acquire majority stake in Sophos'.
- ^'Board of Directors'.
- ^'The Bureau Investigates article'. Archived from the original on 4 December 2011.
- ^'Statement from Sophos on Recent Media Reports'.
- ^'Sophos Board of Directors webpage'.
- ^'Sophos Acquires Cyberoam to Boost Layered Defense Portfolio'. Infosecurity Magazine.
- ^'Sophos Plans $100 Million London IPO'.
- ^'Sophos joins the UK's top public companies in the FTSE 250'.
- ^'Sophos founders exit before Thoma Bravo sale'. Global Capital. 5 December 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- ^'Sophos opens new chapter with take-private acquisition'.
- ^'ActiveState Acquired by Employees and Pender Financial Group; Company Renews Focus on Tools and Solutions for Dynamic Languages'. Business Wire. 22 February 2006. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- ^'Sophos buys Endforce for network access control'. Network World. 11 January 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- ^Wauters, Robin. 'Sophos beefs up on online security, acquires Dutch security software firm SurfRight for $31.8 million'. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- ^'Sophos Adds Advanced Machine Learning to Its Next-Generation Endpoint Protection Portfolio with Acquisition of Invincea'. Sophos. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- ^'Sophos grows anti-malware ensemble with Invincea'. Sophos. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
One may ask, if you already have great next-generation technology, why do you need Invincea’s technology?...Think of Invincea as the superhero that takes our ensemble to the next level – the entity that adds neural network-based machine learning to the team.
- ^'Sophos to Acquire Invincea to Add Industry Leading Machine Learning to its Next Generation Endpoint Protection Portfolio'. Invincea. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- ^'Thoma Bravo completes $3.9B Sophos acquisition'. TechCrunch. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
The Status tab in a computer's details page lets you see the computer's security health and details of any alerts.
It also lets you take action against alerts.
These status details are only shown if the computer is using the Security Heartbeat feature.
The computer security status is reported by computers running Windows 7 and later.
This shows whether the device has threats detected, has out-of-date software, is not compliant with policy, or is not properly protected. The overall status is the same as that for the highest-priority item listed (red, orange or green).
The page lists any alerts on the device. The details include:
- Alert details: For example, the name of the malware.
- When the alert occurred.
- The actions that you can take. These depend on the type of threat or event and are the same as the actions available in the Dashboard.