- Sky Entertainment Package
- Go Package Search
- Sky Go Only Packages
- Sky Packages Uk
- What Package Do I Need For Sky Go
- Do You Get Sky Go With The Basic Package
- Basic Sky Package
Re: Can Sky Go only be used with a SkyQ box? 24 Mar 2020 10:10 AM There isn't a SD or HD on Sky Go, it's just whatever the maximum resolution is for that content. As well as more than seventy live channels, Sky Go has thousands of movies, all the Sky Sports and Sky Cinema channels, and other popular channels such as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, and more. Not only that, but you can stream on two devices at once with your Sky Go account.
The Sky Go Extra package isn’t providing a new service – it’s replacing the free downloads that were previously available, with a £5 subscription download service. If Sky Go Extra provided a download facility that was not previously available, your article discussion would be accurate.
Some things are just made to be watched on a big screen. So, when it comes to Sky Go, there are times you want to ditch that laptop, tablet or smartphone and kick back in front of a TV. Here’s how to stream Sky Go on your TV.
Sky Go has been around for some time now and it’s gone through several iterations, including some confusing crossovers with the Sky Q app. The app’s main function is letting you watch your Sky package over the internet – a super useful feature when you’re away from home or just not in the same room as your Sky box.
Related: Read our full Sky Q review
While being able to watch Sky on your Android or iOS device – from a Samsung Galaxy phone to an iPad – will be a marvel for some, sometimes it just isn’t good enough. The heart-pounding action scenes of Game of Thrones or Gangs of London on even the largest mobile device just won’t do.
We’ve put together this handy guide to show you just how to watch Sky Go on a TV.
Related: What do you think is best streaming service? Vote now
How do I stream Sky Go to my TV?
Kicking things off on a bit of a downer, the simple answer is you can’t. Never fear, you can get Sky Go on a TV using a good ol’ cable.
Unfortunately, Sky is yet to add any kind of casting function to the Sky Go app – as you can do with other streaming services like Netflix or Amazon – and this means there’s no way to shift the app’s mobile content from your phone or tablet to a TV. A lack of a Sky Go app on smart TVs doesn’t help the situation either.
Instead, you’ll need to grab your laptop and download Sky Go if you haven’t already. The next step is to check what connections your laptop has and, fingers crossed, it has an HDMI port and you’ve got a handy HDMI cable lying around.
Other solutions include a VGA/DVI connection on some older machines or a more flexible Thunderbolt port, but HDMI is the simplest way of going about things. Here’s exactly how to do it:
- Open the Sky Go app on your laptop
- Find what you want to watch and go fullscreen
- Attach the HDMI cable to your laptop
- Plug the other end into a free HDMI port on the back of the TV
- Make sure you are on the correct HDMI input on the TV and you are all set
Why choose Sky Ireland?
- Sky Broadband packages start from just €35 a month
- Sky offers truly unlimited broadband
- Sky TV is best-in-class, winning Best TV Provider at the Switcher.ie Awards for the last seven years
- All Sky broadband deals include phone line rental and you can keep your existing number
- Sky offers great introductory discounts, so you can usually make significant savings in year one
- You get the Sky Q Hub as standard when you sign up, Sky’s best ever wireless router
- Sky Broadband Buddy is included, allowing you to help keep your family safe online
Sky is a triple-play provider, offering broadband, TV and home phone packages.
What packages can you get with Sky?
You can pick the broadband bundle you want, or choose Sky TV as a standalone plan.
Sky Fibre Broadband & Home Phone
All Sky broadband deals include Sky phone line rental and come with a talk plan, which you can upgrade to include Anytime or International calls.
The cheapest Sky broadband and phone package is the Sky Broadband Superfast & Talk Freetime plan, which is just €35 for the first 12 months, and €55 thereafter.
Sky TV, Broadband, & Home Phone
If you want to add Sky TV to your Sky bundle you have plenty of choice.
The best Sky bundle is the Sky Signature with Sky Broadband Superfast & Talk Freetime plan, which has unlimited fibre broadband with speeds of up to 100Mb.
Sky TV Ireland
If you don’t want your broadband and home phone with Sky, but you’d like to enjoy their TV selection, a standalone TV package could be for you.
You can mix and match to create your perfect TV bundle, so you only pay for the TV you want to watch.
The cheapest Sky TV-only deal, is the Sky Signature - it’s €25 for the first 12 months, and €41 thereafter.
What is Sky Signature?
It’s the name of Sky’s basic TV package that comes with:
- Over 300 channels, including 100+ not on free-to-air
- Over 40 catch up channels
- 10,000 hours of TV on demand
- 500 box sets
How does it work?
You don’t have to have Sky broadband in order to enjoy Sky Signature, but you’ll need a satellite dish to be installed at your property by a Sky engineer in order to connect to the service.
You’ll also get a Sky Q box which allows you to:
- Store up to 500 hours of TV
- Record up to six programmes and watch a seventh
- Rewind, pause and restart live TV
Once you’ve signed up, you can download the Sky Go app on your mobile, tablet and laptop, and watch your top TV picks while on the move.
Sky Entertainment Package
What TV channels are included with Sky Signature?
There’s an epic number of top films and shows to keep the whole family entertained all year round. Here’s a taste of what to expect:
- 200+ free-to-air channels e.g. Channel 4, BBC, and RTÉ
- 100+ channels not on free-to-air e.g. Gold, Discovery and MTV
- 18 dedicated Sky channels covering every guilty pleasure e.g. Sky Atlantic (home to Game of Thrones), Sky Comedy, Sky Documentaries, Sky History and Sky Nature
- TV on demand, including US specials e.g. Succession and The Undoing
- Catch up TV e.g. RTÉ Player and Virgin Media Player
You can also feast on 500 box sets e.g. True Blood and Brassic, plus access 200 Sky originals e.g. Chernobyl and A Discovery of Witches.
What about sports channels?
Access to all live GAA games are included as part of your Sky Signature package, plus these sports channels:
- Eurosport 1
- Eurosport 2
- Sky sports mix
- Sky sports news
- Sky sports racing
If this isn’t enough to satisfy your appetite, you can add on Sky Sports or Sports Extra, for a wider choice of sports and coverage.
What is Sky Ultimate TV?
If you get the Sky Ultimate Pack, as well as all the benefits of the Sky Signature package, you’ll also get Netflix Basic.
This package lets you stream the full range of Netflix films and programmes on one device in SD.
To upgrade to Netflix Standard which lets you watch your programmes on two devices in HD, you can add the Sky HD pack.
To upgrade to Netflix Premium which lets you watch on four devices in Ultra HD, just add the Sky UHD pack.
If you already have Netflix, you don’t need to cancel it. Sky can move your account across and you should save money only having one subscription.
What extras can you add on to your Sky package?
You can customise your Sky Signature package by adding on one or more of these extras to suit your viewing preferences:
- Sky Sports: comes with 8 dedicated channels e.g Sky Sports F1, Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports NFL. Enjoy Premier League matches, EFL Golf majors and much more.
- Sports Extra: combines BT Sport e.g. UEFA Champions League, Champions Cup Rugby, and Premier Sport e.g. LaLiga TV, for the ultimate sports’ showdown.
- Sky Cinema: has 12 channels in HD, offering over 1,000 movies on demand, including a brand new premiere each day. Whatever genre of film you enjoy, there’s a channel for it e.g. sky cinema animation with choices like The Lion King and The Smurfs 2.
- Netflix (Ultimate TV add-on): gives you access to unlimited films and shows of every genre. Stream uninterrupted episodes of your favourite dramas e.g. Ratched and Bridgerton on any device, whenever you fancy.
- Sky Kids: gets you 8 dedicated channels e.g. Baby TV and Nickelodeon, plus access to the Sky Kids app and over 5,000 episodes of their favourite programmes e.g. Peppa Pig, SpongeBob Squarepants and Paw Patrol.
- Disney+: gets you access to five magical worlds: Disney, Marvel, Pixar, National Geographic and Star Wars. Find out more about the content that’s included in our dedicated Disney+ guide.
- HD: lets you enjoy over 40 channels in HD e.g. Sky Atlantic, Sky One and MTV. Pair this add-on with Sky Ultimate TV Pack and you can watch Netflix on a second device too.
- Ultra HD & HD: gets you mind-blowing clarity on selected shows, with 4x the detail of HD. You can also watch Netflix on four devices by pairing this add-on with Sky Ultimate TV.
- Multiscreen: means less fights over who gets control of the remote as you can watch on a second TV. If two screens still isn’t enough, you can add up to three extra Sky Q mini boxes in total to expand your choice of screens.
How much does each add-on cost?
|Sky add-on||Monthly cost|
|Sky Sports||€20 a month for 6 months, usually €40|
|Sports Extra||€17 a month for 6 months, usually €34|
|Sky Cinema||€14.50 a month for 6 months, usually €29|
|Netflix (Ultimate TV add-on)||€6 a month|
|Sky Kids||€8 a month|
|Disney+||€8.99 a month|
|HD||€8 a month|
|Ultra HD & HD||€12 a month|
|Multiscreen||€19 a month|
The add-ons are on a rolling 31 day contract and there are multi-buy offers available:
- Get Sky Sports Extra and Sky Sports for €30 a month, saving €30 a month (offer valid for 6 months)
- Get Sky Cinema and Sky Sports for €30, saving €19 a month (offer valid for 6 months)
Sky Ireland deals for existing Sky TV customers
If you have Sky TV but your broadband is with a different provider, you could make decent savings by switching to a fibre broadband deal from Sky.
You can bundle your services together with the Sky Broadband add-on for existing Sky TV customers.
Sky offers broadband plans with speeds up to 1Gb, but the speed you can get will depend on the type of connection available in your area and the deal you choose.
How to become a Sky VIP
Go Package Search
Once you’re a Sky customer, it’s worth checking out the Sky VIP loyalty programme which is free to join. You’ll enjoy access to tickets, experiences, tech & more. Here are the four VIP tiers:
- Sky VIP Silver: If you’ve been with Sky for up to 3 years you’ll get access to exclusive experiences and VR.
- Sky VIP Gold: If you’ve been a Sky customer for 3-8 years, you’ll get the above, plus free fibre set up and Sky Go Extra, which lets you download your favourite Sky shows, even when you’re not online.
- Sky VIP Platinum: If you’ve been with Sky for 8-15 years, you’ll get all the above, plus rewards on Sky Q.
- Sky VIP Diamond: If you’ve been a Sky customer for 15+ years, as well as all the above you’ll get exclusive discounts on the Sky Soundbox.
If you haven’t signed up for Sky VIP yet, all you need to do is download the My Sky app and sign up using your Sky account number.
You’ll be able to see on the app which tier you fall in to, and how to access the various benefits. Plus, you’ll even get a free welcome gift.
Sky broadband vs eir, Virgin Media and Vodafone
If you’re wondering how Sky compares to the other major providers, Sky operates off the eir wholesale broadband network, so their broadband service is similar to what you’d get from eir or Vodafone.
In terms of TV, they all offer the option to tailor a package to your needs but Sky is the only provider that lets you enjoy their TV as a standalone plan.
Sky Go Only Packages
How do you switch to Sky?
Switching to Sky is quick and easy. Just choose which plan you’re interested in and fill in a few details, including your address and bank details.
Sky will look for your Universal Account Number, or UAN, which is an eight digit number used by telecom providers to identify phone lines.
Make sure you contact your current provider to ensure you’re free to switch, and give them the required notice so that you’re not charged after you’ve switched.
You’ll be able to arrange a cut-off date with them for service and then you can confirm an installation date with Sky so you experience as little downtime as possible.
Once the switch happens, you can then cancel any Direct Debits with your current provider.
Sky broadband, phone & TV FAQs
Can I access Virgin Media Sports with Sky TV?
If you want to get access to Virgin Media Sports, you’ll need to sign up directly with Virgin Media and access the content via their app.
Can I stream Sky TV without a contract?
Yes. With Now TV you can stream the Sky TV content you love on a rolling month by month basis.
Find out more about the Sky passes available, cost per month, and other streaming services on offer in our TV streaming guide.
Can I watch Sky TV in more than one room?
Yes. Sky Multiscreen lets you watch different Sky TV channels in two different rooms, at the same time.
If you want to watch Sky TV in more than two rooms, you’ll need to buy additional Sky Q mini boxes. You’ll need one mini box per extra TV and can have up to three in your household.
How fast is Sky Broadband?
It depends which services you want, which package you choose and what’s available in your area. Your main options are:
- Sky Broadband Essential: 10Mb/s average broadband speed, with no download limit.
- Sky Broadband Superfast: A part fibre package with speeds of up to 100Mb/s and no download limit, making it great for for streaming video and music, gaming, and larger households with multiple devices.
- Sky Broadband Ultrafast: Download speeds of up to 1Gb/s where available, making it perfect for gaming and streaming on all devices at once, fast.
How long are Sky's contracts?
Sky’s contracts normally last for 12 months. Often, Sky packages offer great discounts for the first year and then your monthly cost will increase.
Is Sky Broadband unlimited?
Yes. Sky Broadband doesn’t have a fair usage or traffic management policy, allowing you to download as much as you want, whenever you want.
You can share, stream and download your favourite shows, movies or music all at the same time, and never have to worry about download limits.
Sky Packages Uk
What is the Sky Broadband Buddy?
It’s a remote control for your Sky internet, with features that let you:
- Control your kids’ screen time
- Track the apps they download and websites they visit
- Reward their good behaviour with extra screen time
What Package Do I Need For Sky Go
Broadband Buddy comes free with Sky Broadband.
Do You Get Sky Go With The Basic Package
Get super fast broadband from just €24 a month
Basic Sky Package
It only takes a few minutes to find a cheaper deal and start saving