Want to start using the iMessage feature on your Mac? But don’t know where to start with?
Don’t worry I have got you on this!
Here in this article, I will take you through a step by step guide on how to set up and use iMessage on Mac. It’s super simple and easy. And yes it does not take any time.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!
How to Set Up iMessage on Your Mac Monday November 11, 2019 8:40 AM PST by Tim Hardwick The Messages app in macOS offers users a convenient way of communicating with friends, family,. Nov 11, 2019 How to Set Up iMessage on Your Mac Monday November 11, 2019 8:40 AM PST by Tim Hardwick The Messages app in macOS offers users a convenient way of communicating with friends, family,. How to Set up iMessage for Multiple Devices – Correctly iMessage syncs messages to all your devices that are interconnected to the same iMessage number and email account. This means your iPhone, iPad, and Mac can all send and receive iMessages, in real-time.
But first let’s learn a few useful things about “What exactly is iMessage?“
iMessage, as the name suggests is Apple’s messaging service. It is a default feature that comes built-in when you buy an Apple product. So you do not need to buy or download or install in from the app center.
It doesn’t only limits to messages. But you can also send videos, audio, location, photos to another user who is also using iMessage. Therefore it makes it easy to communicate with friends, colleagues, family, etc.
You can use any device to send an iMessage whether it is an iPhone, an iPad, Apple Watch, or a Macintosh computer/Mac. Yes, it works with all the devices. That great right!
If the other user has not set up a number for iMessage then the message will be delivered as a normal SMS or MMS to the other user.
All Apple users have an Apple ID. This same ID is used to set up iMessage either on Mac or on iCloud in macOS and iOS.
This article covers step by step methods to set up iMessage on Mac, set up iMessage in iCloud on macOS, set up iMessage in iCloud on iOS.
How to Set Up iMessage?
iMessage is a very useful and effective feature that many of the users don’t give a try to. Unlike other messaging services iMessage uses internet connection to send messages.
Did you know that iMessage is one of the safest messaging platforms? As it is protected with end-to-end encryption. So in case if anyone tries to hack your messages or information in it, it won’t be possible.
Do you have to pay to send iMessages? Not at all! It is completely free to use. You do not have to spend a single dime to use it on your Apple devices. This service uses the internet connection of the device to send and receive messages.
Below we have listed three different methods to set up iMessage. Let’s have an overview of them.
- Steps to Set Up iMessage for Mac
- Steps to Set Up iMessage in iCloud for macOS
- How to use iMessage in iCloud on iOS
1. Follow the Steps to Set up iMessage for Mac
The only thing that is needed to set up iMessage for Mac is your Apple ID and password.
The following are the steps, that explain in detail every aspect of setting up an iMessage for Mac.
Open “Messages” application
- Open Messages by clicking on the Messages icon available on the Dock.
- Click on Launchpad and then click on “Messages” icon and open it.
Enter Apple ID and Password
- After clicking on the Messages application a new window appears.
- It will prompt you for Apple ID and password.
- Fill in the required details and click on “Next”.
Edit Account Details
- Click on “Messages” from the Dock and then go to the Apple menu on the top left corner of the home screen and click on “Messages”.
- A drop-down menu appears.
- Choose “Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
Imessage On Mac 10.6.8
- A new window pop-up.
- Choose “Accounts” right next to the General tab.
- Your Apple Id appears below Settings Tab.
- Fill up your phone number and Email ID under “You can be reached for messages at” column.
- Now you will receive messages on these addresses. Below that column, you will find “Start a new conversation from”.
- Either assign your phone number or email address in that area. Whenever you start a conversation this assigned email address or phone number will be seen as your contact by the receiving user.
You are done with setting up your iMessages for Mac.
It is a quick and easy process. Now, let’s move to the next step of setting up iMessage in iCloud in iOS.
2. Follow the steps to set up iMessage in iCloud on macOS
Turning on messages in iCloud has a lot of benefits in store.
By setting up messages in iCloud you can access the complete messages history on any device with your same Apple ID.
Making any changes such as deleting, sending, etc will be updated simultaneously on the other Apple devices signed in with the same Apple ID and iMessage account.
- Click on “Messages” from Dock. Now go to the Apple menu and click on “Messages”.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Click on “Preferences”.
- A new window will appear. Now click on the “Accounts” tab.
- There will be two sections “Settings” and “Blocked”.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Under the Apple ID, you will find “Enable Messages in iCloud”.
- Click on the box right next to it so that you see a blue tick in the box.
- Now click on the “Sync Now” Tab along the “Enable Messages in iCloud”.
- This will enable messages in iCloud.
3. Follow the steps to set up iMessage in iCloud on iOS
Only Setting up iMessage in iCloud in Mac is not enough.
You have to sync your iOS devices too so that you can edit, delete send and all the messages are updated on all devices, so it does not matter what device you are using.
This is the easiest one. So lets dive into it.
Launch “Settings” and enable “Messages”
- Open “Settings” from your iOS device by clicking on the gear icon on your device.
Imessage On Mac Computer
- Click on ” >” arrow right next to your Account name. Click on “>” arrow next to “iCloud”.
- The iCloud window will open.
- It will show the storage available on iCloud.
Set Up Imessage On Macbook With Phone Number
- Enable “Messages” by clicking on the button next to it and turning it green if you have not already done so.
- This will complete the process of setting up iMessage in iCloud on an iOS device.
We hope you found this article useful on how to use iMessage on Mac.
We didn’t only cover the setting up of the iMessage on Mac but we also covered the step by step guide to enable iCloud on iOS and macOS devices.
This makes sure all your devices are in sync with iCloud and you can change, edit, send, receive messages, videos, audio, etc, from any device. The changes will be reflected on all the other devices too which you have synced with iCloud.
You can send us your feedback through our comment section below. And do let us know if you have any queries related to this topic.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates!