You can use the Messages app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to send messages. Those messages are sent as iMessage or SMS/MMS. Learn more about the difference between the message types.
The steps above were performed on an iPhone 11 in iOs 13.4.1. These steps will also work on other iPhone models using iOS 13, as well as most other recent versions of iOS. The iMessage feature on your iPhone provides some additional messaging features that aren’t available with traditional SMS text messaging. Thankfully iMessage lets you enable do no disturb for text messages and iMessages, without needing to activate Do Not Disturb Setting for the whole device. So you can enable Do Not Disturb for a single conversation or a group and not receive notifications when new messages are received in that particular conversation.
- The iMessage feature in the Messages app on Apple devices like an iPhone, iPad, or Mac provides you with a lot of tools to share information with other Apple users. It includes the standard features found in traditional SMS text messages and MMS messaging, while also adding other ways to customize messages and send other types of media.
- The iMessage service is present inside the regular Messages app. But the SMS service needs a working phone number and a SIM card to function.
iMessages are texts, photos, or videos that you send to another iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi or cellular-data networks. These messages are always encrypted and appear in blue text bubbles. To turn iMessage on or off, go to Settings > Messages.
If you aren’t using iMessage, you can use SMS/MMS. These messages are texts and photos that you send to other cell phones or another iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. SMS/MMS messages aren't encrypted and appear in green text bubbles on your device.
To use SMS/MMS on an iPhone, you need a text-messaging plan. Contact your wireless carrier for more information. You can also set up your other Apple devices to send and receive messages from any Apple device.
If Wi-Fi is unavailable, iMessages will be sent over cellular data. Cellular data rates might apply.
Today, the phone lets us easily maintain communication with families and friends via text message. But this scenario is a little bit different when we talk about Apple devices. Although you have the same iCloud account for iPhone and iPad, you aren’t able to see the text messages both on the iPhone and iPad.
This is because iPad and Mac have free iMessage service but that is only confined to Apple devices. So, how to get text messages on both iPhone and iPad type questions may arise inside you naturally.
How to Get Text Messages on Both iPhone and iPad
If you have friends or family without an Apple device, you may face difficulty while sending traditional messages. Thankfully, Apple allowed this service through some techniques.
So, if you own an iPhone, sending or receiving text messages using the iPhone will be shown on your Mac, iPad, and iPod as well. Therefore you can easily maintain conversation from any of your closest devices.
Difference Between iMessage and Text Message
You may have a question: Apple allows iMessage for free, so why do I need a text message also. Let’s see some difference between iMessage and Text Message.
iMessage is one type of message service which only circulating into Apple device. You can get this service for free and there is no text limit like a text message. You can use iMessage service through WiFi or cellular data. The WiFi could give you free service whereas cellular data will cost you some penny.
It is just like the traditional massage service, for instance, SMS, and MMS. This type of message can be sent through any non-Apple devices. Here you have to pay some pennies to send a message. Besides, some cellular plans will confine you into a text limit.
The way to Set up SMS and MMS messaging
To activate this facility, your device has to meet the Continuity system requirements then follow the following steps.
First, make sure that each device is logged into your iCloud account using the same Apple ID.
On your iPhone
Iphone Sms Message Forwarding
1. Now, through your iPhone, navigate to the Settings => Messages.
2. When you reach on the Message you may see Use your Apple ID for iMessage and turn it on. Here you have to ensure that the same Apple ID is used in iPhone and for iMessage on your other devices. You can easily check it at the top of the screen.
3. Now scroll and find the Text Message Forwarding this option will allow you to get iPhone text messages to send and receive other devices. Now tap on that option then you can select by toggling on which device (iPad, Mac) you want to get a text message facility.
Imessage And Sms
4. Once you toggle using the iPhone, you will get a security code on your selected device and type that code on your iPhone. Then you can start to communicate with each other using the Apple device. This service can’t normally handle SMS messages.
5. So, you have to go to scroll down and select Send & Receive from the Messages. You can see your Apple ID at first then you will find the “You Can Be Reached By iMessage At” section.
6. Now in this section set your phone number and email address. Below this section, you could see “Start new conversations from” here you can also add an email and phone number. In each of the sections, you can add more than one email address.
On your iPad
In the following, you can learn the set-up process of text messaging on your iPad.
1. First of all, navigate Settings => Messages and turn on the iMessage then go to Send & Receive.
Iphone Sms Messages Not Sending
2. Now check to make sure the same Apple ID is used on your iPad which you used on your iPhone. You can find the ID at the top of the screen. If you find nothing then type to sign up in that Apple ID.
Iphone Sms Messages Not Delivered
3. After that, in the “You Can Be Reached By iMessage At” section you have to set your phone number. Besides, you are able to add more than one email in there to get text messages.
Iphone Sms Messages Not Working
4. Now, you will also see the “Start new conversations from” at the bottom of your iPhone. From here you can start the conversation by selecting the phone number or email.
Download Imessage For Iphone
5. Again back to the Messages page, you will see Send Read Receipts which will notify others when you read their message.
Iphone Message Imessage Needs To Be Enabled
6. Below that, you will find the Block option which helps you to block particular people to send you any message.
7. After moving down you will notice the Keep Message option which allows you to store the message. Here you will find 3 options like 30 days, 1 year, forever. You can store the message based on the storage of your device.
8. Below that you will find the Audio Message option which also helps to store messages either forever or just 2 minutes.