- Text messages are sent through your cellular data provider (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc), but iMessages are automatically routed through Apple’s servers, saving you data if you’re on Wi-Fi. If you aren’t connected to Wi-Fi, the message will count towards your monthly data plan.
- You can tell the difference by color: a blue text bubble means iMessage, a green text bubble means SMS. Group messages don't support read receipts either. Unfortunately, this feature can become a.
Navigate to the app’s Menu bar, click Messages, and then select Preferences. Select the iMessage tab in the pop-up panel. Enable your account if needed. Enable Messages in iCloud if. The Messages app shows when someone is writing an iMessage to you (those familiar pulsing dots). IMessages can also contain information that SMS does not, such as your location.
When activating iMessage or FaceTime, you might see one of these messages:
- Waiting for activation
- Activation unsuccessful
- An error occurred during activation
- Could not sign in, please check your network connection
- Unable to contact the iMessage server. Try again.
Check your device settings
- Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
- Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that your time zone is set correctly.
Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime
- Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
- Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
- Restart your device:
- Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.
Imessage Messages Disappeared
Still not activated after a day?
It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:
- Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can send and receive SMS messages.
- If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles make sure you can send and receive international SMS.
- Contact Apple Support.
Get more help
You can also use your email address with iMessage and FaceTime. Sign in to your Apple ID account page and review all the email addresses you have on file, including the one that you're trying to verify. If the email address is incorrect, you can update it. Then click Resend next to the email address that you want to verify.
If you can't sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on your Mac, see If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac.
FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.