Open 'run' and type regedit Search for HKeyLocalMachine/System/Current Control Set/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management Right click on ClearPageFile At Shutdown and put value to '1' This will clear your virtual memory each time you shutdown your computer. Here is how to have them removed. Launch the Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar and choose the option 'Task manager' From the main window of the Task Manager select the processes tab and click Memory to sort out memory usage. Remove the programs they are consuming so much memory.
Dec 21, 2020 • Filed to: Windows Computer Solutions • Proven solutions
Windows 10 and other older Windows applications are wonderful platforms because of their built-in features that improve their usability. These platforms have effective troubleshooting abilities to identify and resolve technical issues. One very common problem many users grapple with is the problem of low memory. In this article, we will show you ways to resolve this problem in a matter of minutes.
Overview of the error 'Your computer is low on memory'
The message 'your system is low on memory' can cause system lags and malfunctions that will leave you frustrated. This is a problem experienced by users of Windows 10, 8, and even Windows 7 in some cases. Low memory error may occur for several reasons but with our help, you should be able to have it resolved using one of the numerous steps we will show you below.
How to fix 'Your computer is low on memory' Windows error
Your computer may display this error for many reasons. Some of the instances may include.
- Low computer memory (This may be down to system misinterpretation)
- Low computer memory Claymore (When your system uses a lot of memory space it may trigger this message)
- Low computer memory with black screen issues (Black screen issues may cause your system to reboot without your permission)
- Low computer memory Cute PDF alerts (CutePDF often triggers memory alerts if you want to print converted PDF files
- Low computer memory Excel (A low memory message may block your attempts to save an Excel file)
- Low computer memory for gaming (Saving a lot of gaming data may trigger this error)
These reasons may not be the only ones as there are several others. Regardless of the cause, here are some troubleshooting steps you can use to rectify the problem.
How to fix Computer is low on memory Windows 10
Method 1 – Run a system scan
Some malicious data files may trigger 'your system is low on memory' error. These files or programs will tend to ask you to download software to fix the problem. These are scams that you can avoid. With a full system scan, you can fix the error. To scan your PC you will need a very good anti-virus program that can be downloaded online. Depending on the type of anti-virus software you use, follow these steps for a full system scan.
- Go to the start page of your anti-virus Program to launch the tool
- On the left or right-hand side of the pane (depending on the program you are using) select the program icon
- The next step is to click on the Advanced scan option
- Check the option that allows for a full scan and click on it to launch a complete scan for malware.
If the low memory error was caused by malware or virus your anti-virus program will locate and eradicate it. The pop up low memory error will disappear.
Method 2 – Close programs that consume too much memory
Sometimes, low memory errors may occur if there are one too many errors taking up so much space in your memory. It will serve your interest to remove some programs that are not important to you to create space for more important ones. Here is how to have them removed.
- Launch the Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar and choose the option 'Task manager'
- From the main window of the Task Manager select the processes tab and click Memory to sort out memory usage.
- Remove the programs they are consuming so much memory.
Method 3 – Use your Windows Troubleshooter
Sometimes your programs may close forcefully because of a malfunction somewhere. This could prompt a low memory error. This may be because your computer is allocating too much memory space to the program in question. To resolve this kind of error follows these steps.
- Press 'Wind+F' keys on your Start screen
- Type Troubleshooting in the search bar
- From the Troubleshoot page select 'view all' and choose Maintenance.
- Click Next and wait for a little while for your Windows to run the process
- If you don't wish to close down the programs use a Windows 10 built-in tool for troubleshooting
- Go to Systems setting>Troubleshoot>navigate down to find and resolve any other problem
Method 4- Increase Virtual Memory manually
Many people do not know that they can increase virtual memory manually to resolve low memory alerts. This can be done through these listed steps.
- Go to the Start screen, type Advanced system settings and double click the very first result
- Pick the Advanced tab. Click in settings located under the performance pane.
- Click the Advanced tab once again in the new window and navigate to virtual memory. Select 'Change'
- Clear the box 'Automatically manage page file size for all the drives'
- Click Drive and pick a custom size
- Add a brand new megabyte size in the initial file size (MB) or a maximum size (MB) and then pick 'SET'
Method 5- Repair Registry
Another simple way to fix low memory error is to fix your Registry with a cleaning tool. Before you repair your Registry do not forget to back it up first in case an error occurs during the process. You can use Microsoft System file checker to check for corruption of your files. Here is how you can run a system file checker with Microsoft tool.
- Go to Start, type 'cmd', right-click the Command prompt and select Run as the Administrator
- Type 'sfc/scannow' as the command
- Wait a while for the scanned to be comprehensive and then restart your PC. This stop will replace all corrupted files.
Method 6- Update OS
You need to make sure your PC is running on the latest Windows OS. Microsoft often provides users with updates to improve functionality and to fix issues.
To access the Update section, just type 'update' in the search bar then proceed to Windows Update to install updates if they are available.
Method 7- Check for disk errors
You can check for disk errors in File Explorer. All you have to do is to right-click the particular drive you want to scan and choose 'Properties. In the tools tab, select Check then pick 'Scan drive'
- If you use Windows 10, you can do a quick disk check using a Command prompt.
- Start the prompt as the administrator and type in these letters 'chkdsk C:/f then tap Enter. You can replace the letter C with the letter on your hard drive partition.
Method 8- Clean temporary folders and files
You can use Disk Cleanup to delete temporary folders and files that you don't need. When you browse the internet with your PC, it accumulates files and folders that you may not need for. These files may be eating up your space. Clean up with these steps.
- Go the Start page, type Disk Cleanup and launch the tool
- Choose the disk you wish to clean (The cleaner will tell you how much space the folder is taking)
- Select the 'clean up system files option'.
Method 9- Remove newly installed software
If you installed any new software on your PC you may want to consider uninstalling it. To do that,
- Go to the Start Page, type Control panel, select 'Programs recently added' and click the Uninstall button
- Restart your PC and see if the issue has been resolved
These nine methods highlighted above have proven to be very effective ways of resolving issues associated with your computer is low on memory. If none of these methods work for you, consider expanding your RAM to create more space for additional data. Learn more methods to fix low memory errors.
- Win System Crash
- Windows Tips
- Computer Problems
- Blue Screen Errors
If your Lenovo laptop running slow in Windows 10, try the seven useful solutions on this page to work out.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Clean out the dust||Your Lenovo laptop running slow on Windows 10 may result from heavy dust in fan and heat sink...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Check memory usage||Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then select Task Manager. In Task Manager, select the 'Performance'...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Free up disk space||To speed up your Lenovo laptop, you can clean your computer for more space and increase C drive...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Disable unnecessary startup||You can disable some programs in Startup so they don't run when your PC starts and speed up...Full steps|
|Fix 5. More useful solutions||Run antivirus software, upgrade RAM, upgrade HDD to SSD, disable Windows 10 automatic update...Full steps|
Lenovo IdeaPad 330 Running Very Slow on Windows 10
'My Lenovo IdeaPad 330 (256GB SSD, 8GB ram) was very slow and laggy. I have some trouble logging in - I have to force shut down at the time. Later the Chrome and Adobe crashed and were unresponsive for a while. I ran Malwarebytes, and then Avast and no viruses were detected. My laptop is still slow. What's the matter with it? How can I make it faster and gain better performance of it?'
Why Is My Lenovo Laptop So Slow
The possible causes may vary, and it's hard to list all the reasons without a deeper diagnosis. Nevertheless, most of the possible reasons that cause Lenovo laptop slow fall into the following categories:
- The dust inside your laptop
- Malware or virus infection
- Very slow startup
- Low disk space
- Outdated or failing hardware
- Windows update problems
Effective Solutions to Lenovo Laptop Running Slow Windows 10
Before you take actions, you can make some quick fixes:
- Make sure that you've tried to restart the laptop several times if the 'slow boot time' happened for the first time.
- Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed on the laptop. If you are on the Internet when your Lenovo laptop is slow, make sure all browser plugins are up-to-date.
If these brief fixes don't work, try the following advanced workarounds one by one to solve the Lenovo laptop running slow problem beautifully.
Method 1. Clean Out the Dust
Your Lenovo laptop running slow Windows 10 may result from heavy dust in fan and heat sink. Tiny dust has a small impact on computer performance. Still, if your laptop collects a lot of dust, it will affect the computer's ability to cool itself, which may affect system performance and running speed.
In this case, you use a screwdriver or something like that to open your laptop correctly, then use a vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air to blow the dust off the vents.
Method 2. Check Memory and Memory Usage
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then select Task Manager. In Task Manager, select the 'Performance' tab > 'Memory'.
First, see how much you have total, and then check the graph and see how much RAM is being used.
Here's some info about the minimum memory requirements for Windows 10:
- Windows 10 (32-bit) can run on a PC with 1 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 2 GB. For better performance, add memory, so you have 3 GB or more.
- Windows 10 (64-bit) can run on a PC with 2 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 4 GB. For better performance, add memory, so you have 6 GB or more.
You can open Resource Monitor to end some process to free up some memory space. Right-click the process and click end process.
Method 3. Free Up Space and Increase C Drive to Speed Up Lenovo Laptop
If the hard drive or the system drive of your Lenovo laptop is nearly full, it will definitely lag. You can check for low disk space on your computer and improve performance by freeing disk space or increasing the C drive.
How to check for low disk space and clean up the disk drive
To check for low disk space:
- Select the Start button, and then select 'Settings' > 'System' > 'Storage'.
- Under Storage, your drives will be listed. Note the amount of free space and total size for each drive.
If there are a few or even no free space on your hard drive caused by tons of useless junk files, temporary files (Automatically delete Temp files), large files, or dozens of third-party applications, how to clean them up? Well, it's natural for you to start manually checking the files and programs stored on the PC. But, that can be way too time intensive.
EaseUS Partition Master, the partition software, comes with quicker and easier ways to solve the Lenovo laptop running slow problem effectively.
How Do I Clear Memory On My Laptop
How to increase C drive to speed up Lenovo laptop windows 10
Except for the system optimization function, EaseUS Partition Master is an ultimate partition manager, which enables you to resize/move partitions, wipe data, clone, merge, create, format, and delete a partition. What's more, an advanced disk/partition conversion function is also available for you to convert FAT to NTFS, MBR disk to GPT, or GPT disk to MBR. Now, let's see how to use this tool to increase the C drive on your Lenovo laptop to improve performance.
Option 1. Extend System C drive with unallocated space
- 1. Right-click on the System C: drive and select 'Resize/Move'.
- 2. Drag the system partition end into the unallocated space so to add it to the C: drive. And click 'OK'.
- 3. Click 'Execute Operation' and 'Apply' to execute the operations and extend the C drive.
Option 2. Extend System C drive without unallocated space
- 1. Right-click a big partition with enough free space on the system disk, select 'Allocate Space'.
- 2. Select the system drive at the Allocate Space From (*) To section, and drag the end of System C drive into the unallocated space. Click 'OK' to confirm.
- 3. Click 'Execute Operation', it will list the pending operations, and click 'Apply' to save the changes and extend the C drive.
A Solid State Drive runs much faster than that of a Hard Disk Drive when it comes to choosing a boot drive for Windows computers. If you're tired of waiting too long to boot up Windows OS on your HP PCs, why not invest in an SSD? Use the best hard drive duplicator software to upgrade HDD to SSD without reinstalling Windows.
Method 4. Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs
When you turn on your PC, some programs start automatically and run in the background. You can disable these programs, so they don't run when your PC starts.
Many programs are designed to start automatically when Windows does. Software manufacturers often set their programs to open in the background - you don't realize they're running, but they'll open quickly when you go to use them. This is helpful for programs you use a lot, but not for programs you don't often use because it increases the time it takes Windows to start.
- Select the Start button, and then select 'Settings' > 'Apps' > 'Startup'.
- Under Startup Apps, find the program you want to stop from starting automatically and set it to Off.
Method 5. Make Sure Your Lenovo Is Free of Malware
A virus, malware, or malicious software could cause your Lenovo laptop to slow. The best way to handle viruses and malicious software is to try to prevent them by running antimalware and antivirus software and keeping it up to date.
You can scan your PC for viruses or other malicious software by using Windows Security (formerly Windows Defender Security Center), which is included in Windows 10. Or you can apply other well-known antivirus software, such as Avast, AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, etc.
Method 6. Upgrade Hardware
The most effective way to solve this problem is by upgrading hardware for a real performance boost.
If your Lenovo laptop runs very slowly when you are doing design work, such as photo editing, video making, 3D modeling, or other similar things with large software, consider adding more RAM (random-access memory). RAM upgrades can speed up Lenovo laptop, and you'll experience fewer system freezes or hangs.
Upgrade to SSD
An SSD has access speeds of 35 to 100 microseconds, which is nearly 100 times faster than a traditional HDD. Replacing your Lenovo's spinning hard drive with a new SSD is almost a solution that promises to improve your Lenovo performance and fix the running slow issue. How to migrate OS from HDD to SSD? Use EaseUS Partition Master Professional again and follow the step-by-step guides below to upgrade your Lenovo to SSD.
Steps to migrate OS to HDD/SSD:
- Run EaseUS Partition Master, select Migrate OS from the top menu.
- Select the SSD or HDD as the destination disk and click Next.
- Check Warning: the data and partitions on the target disk will be deleted. Make sure that you've backed up important data in advance. If not, do it now.
- Then click Continue.
- Preview the layout of your target disk. Then click Proceed to start migrating your OS to a new disk
Note: The operation of migrating OS to SSD or HDD will delete and remove existing partitions and data on your target disk when there is not enough unallocated space on the target disk. If you saved important data there, back up them to an external hard drive in advance.
Method 7. Disable Windows 10 Automatic Update
Don't ignore one truth. Each Windows 10 update causes problems. Even you've tried all the recommended solutions above; it's still necessary to consider a permanent close for Windows 10 automatic update.
It is indeed very annoying to be faced with the automatic Windows 10 Update. Disable the automatic update in every way now.
If your Lenovo laptop is still running slow after you have tried all of the solutions above, you can also ask us for help directly.
How Do I Clear Memory On My Computer
To Sum Up
We hope the seven approaches in this article can help you solve the Lenovo laptop running slow problem in Windows 10. Whether your laptop is Lenovo IdeaPad 330, 330s, 320(s), or s145, you can try out with these effective methods. If any tricky comes up and you can't solve it, you can contact our technical support team for help via live chat or email.
Lenovo Laptop Slow FAQs
1. Why is my laptop so slow?
Here are some possible reasons that cause Lenovo laptop slow:
- The dust inside your laptop.
- Hard drive's performance reduction.
- Low disk space.
- Antivirus software may cause your Lenovo laptop running slow.
- Windows 10 update may also cause your PC to run slow.
2. How do I speed up my Lenovo laptop Windows 10?
How to speed up Lenovo laptop Windows 10:
- Disable startup apps
- Disable background apps
- Uninstall non-essential third-party apps
- Clean up hard drive space
- Run defragmentation tool
- Enable ReadyBoost
- Upgrade hardware
- Run antivirus software
3. How can I improve the performance of my Lenovo laptop?
Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10:
- Make sure you have the latest updates for Windows and device drivers
- Restart your PC and open only the apps you need
- Use ReadyBoost to help improve performance
- Check for low disk space and free up disk space
- Stop OneDrive syncing
- Disable unnecessary startup programs
- Check for and remove viruses and malware
- Restore your PC from a system restore point
4. How do I clear the memory on my Lenovo laptop?
To clear the RAM on your Lenovo laptop, you need to open the back cover of the laptop, locate and remove the RAM modules to clean it up. Bur if you are not familiar with computers, we do not recommend that you clear the memory yourself. You can ask a computer professional for help, or take your laptop to the after-sales center for cleaning.