The 8L90E is an 8 speed automatic transmission developed by General Motors and introduced for the 2015 Model year. It is currently phasing out the 6L80/6L90 transmissions (although it hasn’t done its all the way yet. Structurally, the 8L90 is similar to the 8L45, except that it is made to handle more power and torque.
Visit Our 'What's New' page to get all the latest Chevrolet Performance News, Announcements, and Specials. We have some of the lowest prices on Chevrolet Performance Parts, Chevrolet Performance Engines, and Chevrolet Performance Transmissions. Our large inventory and huge warehouses allow us to offer some of the best prices around. Like most GM automatic transmissions that have come before it, the 8L90E has an aluminum case, overdrive, and can handle a lot of power. Through a combination of lightweight materials and wizardry, GM engineers were able to get the 8L90 to weigh in a couple of pounds less than the 6L80E, and keep it roughly the same size. Welcome to Bowtie Overdrives, home of the worlds finest GM Automatic Overdrive Transmissions. Whether you are looking for the evenly geared 2004R or the aggressive first gear (3.06:1) in the 700R4, you are in the right place. Not only will an Overdrive Transmission improve your performance, but it will reduce your fuel consumption by up to 33%.
It is an incredibly advanced transmission and has the technology to perform at a high level in the Corvette, while at the same time being cost effective enough to use in high volume production.
The addition of two extra gears over the previous generation 6L80 was necessary to meet ever tightening Federal fuel economy laws. The addition of the two extra gears allows the 8L90 to realize a real world 5% fuel economy improvement over the 6L80.
8L90 Gear Ratios
Like most GM automatic transmissions that have come before it, the 8L90E has an aluminum case, overdrive, and can handle a lot of power. Through a combination of lightweight materials and wizardry, GM engineers were able to get the 8L90 to weigh in a couple of pounds less than the 6L80E, and keep it roughly the same size.
The max power and torque specs bump up a little when it is put behind the LT1/LT4 engines. There’s more on this specific version of the transmission below. Or use this link to take you there.
|Number of Gears||8 forward|
|Max Torque||635 lb-ft|
|Max Transmission Torque||738 lb-ft|
|Case||2 Piece Aluminum|
|Computer Control?||Yes, External TCM|
|Max Shift Speed RPM||7000|
|Tourqe converter||258mm, locking|
|ATF||Dexron High Perormance|
The 8L90 has four different gears sets and five clutches. This allows for extremely tight shifts in a relatively small space. The 8L90 offers a true manual paddle shifting experience. And unlike the the Corvettes rivals at Porsche and Ferrari, the 8L90 also goes to work in pickup trucks. Thats a lot of range to engineer into one transmission.
- All models come with adaptive shift control
- Highly efficient axis binary pump
- Performance algorithm shifting
- Performs like a clutches gearbox in manual mode
- Redline shift protection
- Utilizes VFS to monitor clutch pressure for more precise shifts
- Adapts to wear and tear and compensates electronically
- Paddle shifting
- Grade control
LT1 + LT4
The 8L90E is the transmission GM chose to put behind the ultra high performance LT1 engine. There are a few minor differences between the standard version and the LT1.
- Max Torque is increased to 644 lb-ft
- Gear ratios stay the same
- LT1 uses a slip yoke design
- LT4 uses a fixed yolk design
Identifying an 8L90E
The easiest way to determine if your vehicle is equipped with an 8L90 is to utilize the RP0 codes. They can be found in the glove compartment of the vehicle in question.
You’ll want to find the code M5U. That is proof positive that the vehicle in question was at a minimum equipped with the 8L90 from the factory.
Gm Transmissions Problems
Since the 8L90 has only been available for a few model years(production started in 2014 for the 2015 model year). It is not utilized in many vehicles. It is only used in high performance vehicles and performance cars, otherwise the 8L45 is more than enough for the job.
|Make and Model||Model Years||Final Drive Ratio||Notes|
|Cadillac Escalade ||2015–2017||3.23|
|Chevrolet Corvette (C7) Z06 ||2015-current||2.41|
|GMC Yukon Denali/Denali XL||2015–2017||3.23|
|Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon||2017–present||3.42|
|Ford 10R80 · 10R140GM 10L80/10L90 · Allison 10L1000|
|Manufacturer||Ford · General Motors|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||10-speed longitudinalautomatic transmission|
Ford 6R80 · 6R140
This transmission is part of a joint-venture between Ford Motor Company and General Motors to design and engineer two transmissions, a longitudinal 10-speed transmission and a transverse 9-speed trans-axle. Each company will manufacture its own unique version of the transmissions in their own factories. The 10-speed transmission was designed by Ford, while GM designed the 9-speed transmission which is used in transverse applications.
A unique triple-clutch assembly on a dedicated intermediate shaft, placed in the middle of the architecture, replaces two ordinary clutches and is the key for packaging the 10-speed trans into the same space as previous transmissions. The transmission provides small steps between each gear ratio, improving performance and maximizing engine power during acceleration. A wide gear ratio spread and a lower numerical top gear ratio reduces engine speed at vehicle highway speeds, resulting in improved efficiency.
|Gear Teeth and Ratios||Planetary Gearset: Teeth||Count||Total||Avg.|
|800 Nm · 590 lb·ft · 2017|
900 Nm · 664 lb·ft · 2018
|1400 Nm · 1033 lb·ft|
|1356 Nm · 1000 lb·ft|
- 2020- Ford Explorer
- 2020- Ford Explorer HEV
- 2020- Lincoln Aviator HEV
- 2017- Ford F-150
- 2018- Ford Mustang
- 2018- Ford Expedition
- 2018- Lincoln Navigator
- 2019- Ford Ranger
- 2019- Ford Everest
- 2019- Ford Mustang
- 2020- Ford Transit
- 2021- Ford Bronco
- 2020- [Ford Endeavour]
- 2020- Ford Super Duty
- 2018- Chevrolet Suburban RST
- 2018- Cadillac Escalade
- 2018- Chevrolet Tahoe
- 2018- GMC Yukon Denali
- 2019- Chevrolet Camaro SS
- 2019- Chevrolet Silverado
- 2019- GMC Sierra
- 2017- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
- 2019- Cadillac CT6
- 2020- Cadillac CT5
- 2020- Cadillac CT4
10L100 (Allison) MGM/MGU
- 2020- Chevrolet Silverado HD
- 2020- GMC Sierra HD
The 10R80 was first produced at the Ford Livonia Transmission Plant in Livonia, Michigan, and the Hydra-Matic 10L80 is made at the General Motors Romulus Powertrain Plant, in Romulus, Michigan. Ford's Sharonville Transmission plant started 10R80 production in 2018 and is scheduled to start 10R140 production in 2019.
- ^The 8-speed transmission shows the sole influence of the triple-clutch arrangement on the improvement in direct comparison to the two replaced normal clutches: which gears remain, which are new and which differ from the 8-speed design. Therefore, the same 4 planetary gearsets are applied. The manufacturing of an 8-speed transmission with these planetary gearsets is not intended.
- ^'Ford and GM finally consummate 9- and 10-speed joint development - SAE International'. articles.sae.org. Archived from the original on 2018-03-25. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- ^'Exclusive: An Inside Look At Ford's New 10 Speed Transmission - The Truth About Cars'. The Truth About Cars. 2014-12-01. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- ^Martinez, Michael. 'No thanks, Ford says to 9-speed offered by GM'. Automotive News. Retrieved 8 July 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Tracy, David. 'Why Ford Isn't Using GM's Nine-Speed Automatic Transmission'. Jalopnik. Retrieved 8 July 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Holy Shift! A Look inside GM's new 10-Speed Automatic - Advanced design, GM control system support capability, enhanced efficiency'. Retrieved 16 July 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'F150Hub: Ford 10R80 Automatic Transmission Specs, Ratios'. Retrieved 15 July 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'F450-XL Hub: Ford 10R140 Automatic Transmission Specs 2020, Ratios'. Retrieved 5 June 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'GMC Sierra HD Specs 2020, Ratios'. Retrieved 7 June 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'GM Global Propulsion Systems - USA Information Guide Model Year 2018'(PDF). General Motors Powertrain. Retrieved 6 February 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Ford 10R80, GM 10L80 10 Speed Transmission - 10R80, 10L80 10 Speed Automatic Transmission Specs
- ^'New Programs Update May 2017'. @FordOnline. Ford. Retrieved 10 March 2019.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)