Dropbox will automatically store the files on your Mac’s hard drive and the Dropbox cloud servers. It’s the ultimate backup. If Dropbox’s servers failed, you would still have the files on your Mac’s hard drive. And if your Mac is stolen or its hard drive crashes, the files will still be stored on Dropbox’s servers.
How to download and install the Dropbox desktop app
Dropbox Install Mac
Once installed, you’ll be prompted to either sign in or create a new account.
- Create a keyboard shortcut to open App for Dropbox; Customize border color; Float the menu bar panel on top of all windows; Control opacity of experience and only fully show the app when your mouse is in the panel. Note: The app launches in the menu bar with a Dropbox icon. If you have too many apps in your menu bar or your menu bar is.
- Click Dropbox desktop app under the Devices section. Click the dropdown menu next to Dropbox desktop app defaults and select Dropbox desktop app. Note: Changing this setting will not override any settings selected by team members on their own devices. What’s the easiest way to open the app from my desktop? For easy access to the Dropbox desktop app from your desktop, we.
- The Dropbox desktop app is available for Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems. The preferences menu allows you to customize the Dropbox app to your liking. Learn how to open and view your Dropbox desktop app preferences. Sections in this article.
- Downloading Dropbox. Your Dropbox download should automatically start within seconds. Once the download finishes, click Run to start installing Dropbox.
How to install the desktop app with admin privileges
The Dropbox desktop app requires admin privileges to run with full functionality on your computer. This enables multiple different core features of Dropbox, including:
- Sync icons that show the sync status of files and folders
- Right-click context menus for taking quick actions in Dropbox
- Access to Smart Sync
For the vast majority of users, the desktop app is automatically installed with admin privileges. However, if you didn't install with admin privileges you can follow the instructions below to do so.
Note: If you don't have admin rights on your computer (for example if you're using a work computer), you may need to ask your IT department for help.
Install the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges
- If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
- Open the installer.
- Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
- Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
- If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
- If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
- Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.
Smart Sync and admin privileges
Some Dropbox users will have access to Smart Sync. If you have access to this feature, check that Dropbox is installed with admin privileges on each computer where the feature will be used.
Depending on the policies at your organization, your team members may be able to install Dropbox with admin privileges on their own. If not, they may need the assistance of your IT team.
Download Dropbox For Mac
Why does the Dropbox desktop app for Mac require Keychain access?
Keychain is a password management system for Mac. Dropbox requires access to your Keychain to help verify your account and to provide another layer of security over the Dropbox app preferences.
- To grant Keychain access to Dropbox, click Allow or Always Allow (recommended for seamless access) when prompted to do so from Mac.
- Clicking Deny will result in a 'Couldn't start Dropbox' error message. For security reasons, Dropbox will not start without access to your Keychain.
What is the Dropbox Web Helper for macOS?
Dropbox Web Helper supports the Dropbox user interface on Mac computers. It only runs when the desktop app is running. Dropbox Web Helper is an independent process, so it may start and stop at different times than the desktop app. If you adjust your firewall or antivirus software for Dropbox, we recommend similar adjustments for Dropbox Web Helper.