Citrix Workspace app for Mac offers Day 0 support for Big Sur To all of our Mac users out there, we know you’ve been excited about Apple’s newest macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur, and so have we. Our excitement around the Mac release is heightened by the fact that we are offering.
With the release of Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac, Citrix now supports Citrix Optimization for Microsoft Teams on MacOS.
Citrix Mac App
- My Citrix Workspace on Big Sur is crashing several times a day in irregular intervals. Have no idea what is causing the crashes. I am running macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 on a MacBook Retina (2015) and tried all possible versions of Citrix Workspace for Mac, also the newest Beta version. Looking into the crash-logs, I can see stuff like.
- Hello all, this problem only occurs on my Mac Pro (flower pot) when trying to start Citrix Workspace. I tried uninstalling and re-installing different versions even from 2018 but all with the same effect - the application crashes immediately when starting, producing the core dump message below.
Microsoft Teams is the fastest growing business app in Microsoft history, and Citrix was the first partner in the world to optimize the Microsoft Teams experience in a virtualized environment for Windows and Linux. Citrix is excited to announce that we are bringing their full optimization to Mac with the release of Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac! Together, Citrix with Microsoft Teams accelerates team collaboration and personal productivity across all business activity.
With this Citrix Workspace app release, your teams now get a native Microsoft Teams app experience on their virtual apps and desktops for audio calls, video calls, and screensharing. Among several immediate benefits, both admins and users will be able to enjoy:
- Crystal clear voice and video up to 720p
- Enhanced server scalability that is accomplished by offloading CPU/RAM/GPU/IO onto the user’s device rather than the Virtual Delivery Agent (VDA). That means more users per server and lower operating costs.
- The ability to leverage existing Citrix security policies within virtual instances of Microsoft Teams
Please note, this optimization is supported on Microsoft Teams on macOS version 10.15 (Catalina) and above.
What’s New with Microsoft Teams on MacOS and Citrix?
With Citrix ´s continuous innovation, they focus on improving both user and admin experience. This chart compares the optimizations they have made for you today with the capabilities they previously had in place.
Please note, CTXMTOP is a command-and-control virtual channel. That means media is not exchanged between the Citrix Workspace app and the VDA.
Citrix Workspace For Mac M1
There are a few known limitations with Microsoft Teams running on VDI on Mac compared to the native Microsoft Teams application. This includes the absence of the gallery view. While Skype for Business can coexist with Microsoft Teams, they cannot run at the same time. Microsoft has an extensive deployment guide for this. Additionally, to preserve VDA resources on the workspace app, Citrix have disabled background effects on Microsoft Teams. Check out their documentation for more information.
The Citrix optimization for Microsoft Teams on MacOS,contains VDA-side HDX services and API to interface with the Microsoft Teams hosted app to receive commands. These components open a control virtual channel (CTXMTOP) to the Citrix Workspace app-side media engine. The endpoint decodes and renders the multimedia locally. Reverse seamless snaps-in the local Citrix Workspace app window back into the hosted Microsoft Teams app.
Minimum version – Citrix Workspace app 2012 for Mac:
Supported operating systems
- macOS Catalina (10.15)
- macOS Big Sur Beta 8 in test environments only. Do not use in production environments.
- Screen sharing optimization (incoming and outgoing)
Mirosoft Teams on MacOS optimization works by default if the user has Citrix Workspace app 2012 or later and macOS 10.15.
If you want to disable Microsoft Teams on MacOS optimization, run this command in terminal and restart Workspace app:
defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas mtopEnabled -bool NO
Learn more here about Microsoft Teams on MacOS optimization by Citrix.