Tutorial on how to Deploy Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop 1912 LTSR
- Deploy Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop – Single Server Deployment
Deploy Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop –Single Server Deployment
Tutorial on how to quickly setup a new Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop 1912 LTSR with the following components in a Windows 2019 Server Standard
- Delivery Controller
- Citrix License Server
Installation of Delivery Controller (DDC)
Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops control plane is built on Microsoft Azure, providing IT a single management interface that enables you to manage all your environments from one cloud-based location. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops service provides you with the tools you need to deploy apps and desktops at scale, including.
- What is Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops? Citrix builds on their long-standing partnership with Microsoft and offers multiple VDI deployment options for Citrix solutions on Microsoft Azureincluding virtual apps, desktops, data and networking.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops for Azure is a desktop and app virtualization service available through Azure Marketplace or agreements with Citrix. Use familiar tools to manage on-premises Citrix deployments alongside Windows Virtual Desktop on Azure, supporting cloud modernization while maximizing your existing investment.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Premium service. $15 USD.Per user, per month. Deployed as a cloud service to deliver the latest features of your Windows and Linux applications and desktops to any device. Unified management over all apps, images, and environments - both on-prem and cloud-hosted - from a single console.
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops (XenApp & XenDesktop) Subscribe to RSS notifications of new downloads. Best practices for upgrade Before you start the upgrade process, make sure you check the following Citrix Documentation here. End-user adoption resources.
Delivery Controller is the server-side component that is responsible for managing user access, plus brokering and optimizing connections. Controllers also provide the Machine Creation Services that create desktop and server images.
Download Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop 7 1912 LTSR (Around 2.8GB) via Citrix Portal
Mount the downloaded ISO file and click on AutoSelect. Click Start to install Virtual Apps and Desktops
Click Get Started to install 1st Delivery Controller
Select I have read, understand, and accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next to continue
A warning message will be prompted if the VM is less than 6GB RAM
Uncheck Collect Diagnostic Information if you do not want to send information to Citrix Cloud and click Next
Reboot the server once installation is completed successfully
Installation of StoreFront
Citrix StoreFront is an enterprise application store that provides an interface for users to access XenDesktop and XenApp virtual desktops and applications remotely.
Click AutoSelect on the mounted ISO file, and select Citrix StoreFront
Accept the license agreement and click Next
Click Next to deploy IIS Roles automatically
Reboot the server manually to finish the installation of StoreFront
Initial Configuration Using Citrix Studio
Studio is the management console where you configure and manage your Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops deployment.
Launch Citrix Studio to setup a Site by clicking on Deliver Applications and Desktop to your users
Select A Fully Configured, Production-ready Site (Recommended for new users) and specify a Site Name to create a new Site
The following 3 x Databases are created in Local SQL Express
- Site DB – CitrixAENTISSite
- Monitoring DB – CitrixAVENTISMonitoring
- Logging DB – CitrixAVENTISLogging
Select Use the free 30-day Trial to install trial license to Citrix Licensing Server
Machine Creation Services (MCS) is used to provision Virtual Machines (VMs) for Hosted Share Applications & Dedicated Windows 10 machines via VMware vCenter.
Accept the Certificate Warning if Self Sign Certificate is used in vCenter
Select Use storage shared by hypervisors to store provisioned VM in Shared Datastore
Click Next to continue
Click Finish to start to provision the new site with the configuration specified
Click Test Site Configuration to verify there is no error found on the new provisioned site
Initial Configuration of StoreFront
Refer to Change Citrix StoreFront URL From HTTP to HTTPS to
- Change the StoreFront Base URL from HTTP to HTTPS
- Set Citrix StoreFront as Default Page in IIS
- Allow user to login with thier AD Credential without specify AD Domain
Preparing Master Image for Servers OS
Prepare a Master Image for Server OS by following How to Prepare Master Image for Citrix MCS
Creating the Machine Catalog for Server OS
A machine catalog is a collection of desktops or physical computers that are managed as a single entity. To deliver applications and desktops to users, the machine administrator creates a catalog of machines and the assignment administrator allocates machines from the machine catalog to users by creating delivery groups.
Go to Citrix Studio and click on Machine Catalog – Set up machines for desktop and application or remote PC access
Click Next to continue
Select Multi-Session OS and click Next to continue
Select Machines that are power managed (for example, virtual machines or blade PCs) and Citrix Machine Creation Service (MCS). Click Next to continue
Select the Master Image called CITRIX-MASTER-SRV
Enter the number of VMs which will be deployed from Master Image and click Next to continue
Select the Organization Unit (OU) where the new VMs will be stored and enter the naming pattern, CITRIX-APP## in Account Naming Scheme
Enter a Machine Catalog Name & Description and click Finish
A new VM called CITRIX-APP01 will be provisioned in VMware Host
Refer to Disk Usage of VM provisioned by Citrix MCS to understand more on the Disk Size of VMs prepared by MCS
Client Accessing Citrix Apps from Internal Network
Download & Install Citrix Workspace app for Windows (132MB) by accepting default settings
App Protection – Protect corporate data against key logging and screen capture malware by scrambling keystrokes and saving screen shots as blank images as an add-on for on-premises Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
Refer to the following links for more information
Login to https://citrix.aventis.com.my with credential of domain users using Google Chrome
Click on Apps – Notepad and the ICA file will be downloaded instead of opening it in Citrix Workspace for now
Right click on the ICA file downloaded and select Open With. Select Citrix Connection Manager with Always use this app to open .ica files is checked
Applications will be launched automatically when users click on the published icon now
Client Accessing Citrix Apps from Internet
Citrix Virtual Apps And Desktop Cost
Citrix NetScaler is required for users to access Citrix Apps from Internet, and you can refer to Integrate NetScaler VPX with StoreFront to integrate NetScaler VPX with StoreFront to allow users to access from Internet