Where is Dropbox Folder Located?
Plug your external drive into your Mac and wait for it to mount. Open your User folder. Click and drag your Dropbox folder into the icon for the external drive. If the Dropbox folder and the folders you’d like to back up aren’t on the same hard drive, move them to the same hard drive. For example, if your folders are on an external hard drive, and the Dropbox folder is on your computer’s hard drive, move them to the same hard drive. If you don’t see your files after turning on computer backup.
First of all, you may need to make sure where the Dropbox folder is located, then you could backup Dropbox to external hard drive. By default, the Dropbox folder is installed on your main system hard drive, usually on 'C:UsersUsernameDropbox' folder, where Username is your account name. Here are the ways to find Dropbox Folder location:
Way 1: Type %HOMEPATH%Dropbox
Type %HOMEPATH%Dropbox into the address bar and hit Enter, it will automatically jump to the root directory of your Dropbox folder if you have installed Dropbox already.
Way 2: Find Path in Dropbox App
1. Tick Dropbox icon on the task bar to open Dropbox;
2. Click Settings icon at the top right corner, then choose Preferences;
3. Go to Sync tab, and you will see the Dropbox Folder location.
Then it’s done, if you would like to change the location, just choose another directory as the destination.
As we all know, Dropbox allows you to move Dropbox folder to any locations on your hard drive or an external hard drive with the Dropbox app.
And it has the limitations that you should be aware of:
Use a supported file system. If you use an exFAT file system, you might receive an error moving Dropbox, unexpected errors occurred. Meanwhile, you should avoid network file systems because Dropbox isn’t compatible with network file systems (NFS).
Dropbox do not support removable media. SD card and any devices considered Removable media by your Windows system are not supported by Dropbox.
Now, let’s see how to backup Dropbox to external hard drive, just refer to the following steps:
Move Dropbox Folder directly via Dropbox app
1. Connect your external hard drive until it is detected by your Windows operating system.
2. Open your Dropbox application.
3. Click Settings icon ->Preferences ->Sync ->Move....
Can I Use Dropbox To Backup My Mac
4. Then choose the external hard drive as the new Dropbox folder location to save all the files from Dropbox.
Backup Dropbox to external hard drive with AOMEI Backupper
On the other hand, you have easier way to operate to backup Dropbox to external hard drive. The easy and powerful data backup software - AOMEI Backupper will help you to copy files from Dropbox to external hard drive in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10. Here is how it works:
1. Connect your external hard drive with your computer and make sure it can be detected.
2. Install and run AOMEI Backupper Standard, select Basic Sync under Sync tab.
3. Rename Task Name if needed and click Add Folder to choose Dropbox folder.
4. Choose the external hard drive as the Dropbox folder location.
✾Options: you could comment on the sync task, enable email or SMS notification, verify the integrity of files in the destination during synchronization, run specified program or script before or after sync (Paid), etc.
✾Schedule allows you to automatically sync Dropbox to external hard drive on regular basis, like Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, and USB Plug in. The last two features are premium features, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional or higher to enjoy.
5. Click Start Sync>> button to backup Dropbox to external hard drive.
Tip: The advanced version of this software, AOMEI Backupper Professional, also offers you the real time file sync from local computer to other locations, like Network share, NAS, cloud drives, external hard drive, USB drive, SD card, etc.
Besides, you could backup external hard drive to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and other clouds, migrate OS to SSD drive, create differential and incremental backup, automatically backup entire hard drive, partitions, and other files, and so on.
Dropbox on removable media (USB drive, SD card)
If you want to backup Dropbox on removable media, such as USB flash drive, SD card, or others removable media, Dropbox does not support, how to deal with it?
You have ways to realize that move Dropbox on removable media. First of all, you have to mount the removable media on your Windows 7/8/10, follow the steps to mount:
1. Go This PC ->Manage ->Computer Management ->Storage ->Disk Management.
2. Right click on the external USB flash drive/SD card, select Change Drive Letter and Paths….
3. Select Add... ->Mount in the following empty NTFS folder ->Browse to your C: ->New Folder… ->Name the folder 'DB Mount', click OK, click OK.
4. Now access your USB flash/thumb drive/SD card through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).
Backup Dropbox To External Hard Drive Mac Download
6. If you have already installed Dropbox, just move Dropbox folder location to the removable media. Otherwise, you have to install the Dropbox to the removable USB flash drive or SD card (C: DB Mount).